Sunday, June 24, 2007

What's In A Name?

A lot, I would imagine.
Here's why I am raising this topic of names. I'd like to ask you -- would you mind if the authorities stop you from naming your baby boy "2Prick" or your baby girl "3Pussy"?
Never mind whether anyone in their right mind would want to give those kind of names to their offsprings. Believe me, there are all sorts in this weird world of ours.
But, say, you think those are really cool names and, hey, that's your kid and you have the right to be giving whatever name that pleases you. Right?
And never mind if that kid of yours will be embarrassed for the rest of his or her meaningful life, and that you may, in the future, regret that stupid decision of yours to give that disgustingly stupid name.
It is your freeedom. Right?
Now, do you think anyone has the right to stop you from exercising that freedom to give your baby (b a b y, as in child, not b a b e, ok?) whatever name you so desire?
I believe in Malaysia, there is a loose guideline on names for children. I believe, for Malays, you can't liberally use Putera or Puteri. I think Putera is a no-no but Puteri is meant for girls who are eligibile, that is, those with royal lineage.
Of course, there are other no's and cannot's.
In New Zealand, a couple was not allowed to register their baby's name as "4Real".
Pat and Sheena Wheaton were told that numerals are not allowed in names.
They decided to name their new baby "4real" shortly after having an ultrasound and being struck by the reality of his impending arrival.
"For most of us, when we try to figure out what our names mean, we have to look it up in a babies book and ... there's no direct link between the meaning and the name.
"With this name, everyone knows what it means," Pat told TV One on Wednesday.
Click here for the full story.
I think I am so conservative in this department. I just don't get it.
Why do people want to give their kids weird names?
Can you imagine if my real name was Witchypoo? Or Pink Candy? Or Sweet Pussy?
I'd disown my parents, I would.
Then again, I might not if - with the exception of Witchypoo - I had ended up in show sleazeness.
Yeah, the Wheatons are so over the moon, that this whole "having a baby thing" is really, really for real.
But, please. Have mercy on the innocent child.
You know it is really not your right, in all its entirety to name that baby of yours whatever you like.
Your baby is relying on you to not get crazy and give him or her a ridiculous name.
Meanwhile, we'll see if the Wheatons will finally get to name their baby "4Real".
But, hey, that's a great name for a hip-hop group. Or a real estate company.

5 comments:

J.T. said...

When parents give their children outrageous names, they are not thinking of how the child is going to live with it. They are thinking of their individuality and uniqueness.
I am all for being different but they should consider how the child will feel. Some children will love their unusual names but my bet is most children will not appreciate the 'uniqueness'. They are not their parents. :)

Parents can be 'unique' in other ways - like their own style of bringing up a child. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

the witch's broo said...

JT,

we all want to be different. the more unique, the more "special" we feel.
But when you have been given an outrageous name, then that's another thing.

thanks JT for visiting

flaminglambo said...

LOL!

I've been introduced to a HK girl named Fanny once and I have a feeling that Fanny knows the other meaning of her name cos' she pronounced it as 'Funny'. Well, at least it's funny either way you look at it.

I blame it all on the HK celebs. I remember a period where so many Canto movie characters' were either weird English or some Japanese Manga-esque names. I still cannot believe Ekin Cheng was once known as Dior or something. Hahaha! Imagine the fans screaming "Dior! Dior!". People must be wondering why the fans are swearing. Maybe that's why he dropped the name. What next? Ferragamo Cheng?

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

Hi WitchB,
I have always thought of this. I have a friend whose uncle named his daughter Bamby. Its ok when she's a toddler or even a kid in school. Bamby must be around 28 now and I seriously wonder how she's coping with that name. People can be very brutal when it comes to name callings.

the witch's broo said...

flaminglambo -- they won't stop, man. In Malaysia, there was a time when when everyone was suddenly Alexis. You'd find many Britneys now. But that's ok, cos the names are ok.
A-hah, check out for Parises.
Your HK friend, Fanny...
What about 007's Pussy Galore.??? That was pussy simply meant pussy.

Tony: Aah... parents! Bamby with a "y".