Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Life WIthout Mummy


What were you doing on August 31 1997, at the time Princess Diana died?
I know it was a weekend and I was at work.
Then, Antonio called to inform me of Diana's accident.
I remember I had also heard the news and was hoping the Princess of Wales would survive the accident.
She didn't. She succumbed to her injuries, and the whole world mourned her death.
I remember watching the entire programme devoted to her funeral.
It was surreal, I couldn't believe that she had died. Princess Diana had died.
I felt I knew her. She was larger than life.
She is still being talked about till today, nearly 10 years after her death.
Let me tell you, I took sides. You can tell me a lot of things about her, but I was vehemently on her side.
Sorry, Charlie, but it was difficult to see what it was that was troubling you.
So, I will not go into detail.
I caught this story about Diana's youngest child, Prince Harry who was reminiscing about his mom in an interview with NBC, a US television station.
He and his brother, Prince William reflected on their mom, her death, life without her and how much they miss her.
Harry, 22, says he will "never stop wondering" about her’s death and that he still feels her presence till today.
Twenty-four-year-old William says of her death: "There is not a day goes by that I don't think about it."
Princess Diana met her tragic death in the Pont de L'Ama tunnel in Paris on August 31 1997 when the limousine she was crashed with paparazzi in hot pursuit.
At that time, she was romantically linked to Egyptian Dodi Al-Fayed who was the son of Mohamed Al-Fayed, owner of Harrods.
Of course, later on, conspiracy theories abound.

To read the story, Click here.

(Photo is of Harry in his mother's arms, taken in 1988.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister,

As they said it "only the good dies young."

In my eyes, Lady Diana is more that just "the good".

Take care sister.

the witch's broo said...

my dear elviza,
dearie me, does it mean that i am bad if i die at 80?
hope not.
but yes,you are right, in a way.
i have seen somany good peopledie so young.
i believe the Almighty has His reason.

you take care too,sister.

J.T. said...

I was looking after my 16-day-old niece/god daughter when her daddy telephoned. I thought it was the usual call to find out how his brand new baby was doing.

It was a shock. I felt like I lost someone. She was definitely larger than life.
She made the royal family seem more personable. She did some things that most people in developed countries will not want to do in third-world countries. Then again, she is not ordinary. She was an angel sent to teach the world how to live up to one's potential. When she did her job, she returned to God.

the witch's broo said...

JT,
I cried buckets. She was iconic,in every way.
Not that I would like to be like her. But i understood her pain, her helplessness. that was why she did certain things, as a way to fight back..sometime, as a way to deal with her predicament.
on reflection, yeah, no wonder she felt a deep sense of desolateness -- her husband was in love with another woman for a very very long time.
I felt that she was a woman in pain and suffering. she was beautiful, but you could see so much sadness in her eyes.
when, she died. i cried... but i could feel her soul free of pain.
she was finally at peace.