Monday, June 25, 2007

Introducing the Burkini

I would have probably come out with a similar design because it seems to be the most logical swimwear for Muslim women.
Australian designer Aheda Zanetti calls it a burkini - a cross between a burka and a bikini (?).
I'd probably call it La Jumdi -- La (French singular feminine for "the") and acronym for baJuManDi.
You see, I have always fretted when I see Muslim girls and women jump into a swimming pool wearing t-shirts and jogging trousers.
T-shirts and jogging trousers are the most inappropriate swimming attire for anyone.
I remember I was at a swimming pool where all the Muslim girls and women were NOT wearing proper swimwear, but were in their t-shirts and trousers, and the pool looked so murky.
I don't quite blame them. For many Muslim females, wearing swimsuits is a no-no. They feel very indecent and, of course, strictly speaking it is forbidden to be seen so exposed that way.
There is a range of swimwear -- either one piece or two pieces - with sleeves and covers the knees or right down to the lower calves.
Many Muslim girls and women wear them. Almost perfect for them.
But now, there is a better design to meet the Muslim specification.
The burkini to offer Muslim women the chance to really enjoy the sea or the swimming pool.
For Zanetti, the burkini means that Muslim women can now integrate further into Australian society.
Australia, as we all know is about the sea, sand and surf. Muslim women are so encumbered by their "jubah" and "hijab" that going to the beach is a dreadful experience.
Zanetti said that the burkini is also for anyone who wants to show some modesty while on the beach or protect themselves from the rays of the sun.
The Burkini is made from ultraviolet- and water-protected polyester. Unlike the bikini, it covers the whole body except for the feet, hands and face, allowing Muslim women to swim in public.
Zanetti said she has sold more than 9,000 Burkinis at AUSD125 to AUSD160.

7 comments:

flaminglambo said...

I will be expecting the calendar with eager anticipation. All that fabric. Mmmmmm....

Typhoon Sue said...

malaysian muslim women have already taken to using full body swimming suits to the pool, (mostly surfing attires, but it works just the same). I personally have nothing against regular swimming suits, but an hour under the hot sun and I start to look like a tapir. So, if I'm swimming during the day, i prefer to cover up like them, so that only my hands and my feet are darkened. Now, if only I can find gloves and foot covering appropriate for swimming, I'd have no problem using those too

J.T. said...

I have seen women wearing both kinds - t-shirts and jogging trousers and full body suits, like Sue mentioned. That works too.

I hardly spend time by the pool now. I did it more often when I was in Malaysia. Contemplated wearing a bikini but too shy for such exposure. I am fine with a normal swimsuit - one with a good cut. I stay away from the skirt kind - imagine myself like a ballerina under water. :)
nothing against ballerina but that is just not me.

the witch's broo said...

flaminglambo: Me too....

sue: years ago, i had no qualms about wearing a bikini... then, when i was no longer a size 8, i switched to a one-piece.. size 10-12 later, i have switched to a two-piece but not a bikini -- with the top like a halter neck, y'know.

looks like the burkini -- minus the headgear seems, fetching... kind of.

JT: yes... i do understand. i am going that way.

baggie said...

LOL, i like your term, La JumDi, hehehe, that sounded nicer and more, pro...

the witch's broo said...

calvin's wife:

hi there? long time no "see". how are you?

yeah... i thought that sounds nicer, a elegant touch to it than burkini.

thanks for visiting.

Anonymous said...

When you spell it with a "Q" as in Burqini instead of Burkini it looks more chic too!

You can buy it online from here:
- modestswimsuits.co.uk


Shipping Worldwide