Saturday, August 2, 2008

About Men.....

I hardly go out evenings.

But last evening, I accompanied Antonio to a wedding -- of a friend's son.

It was at the Sheraton Subang. It's been quite some time since I've been there. I live on the other side of the Klang Valley so the Subang area is not an area I frequent. In fact, it is an area I avoid.
Never had a good traveling experience there.

So, it was with a heavy heart that I agreed to accompany Antonio to the wedding reception.

On the way to Subang, Antonio gave a run-down on this friend of his. I kinda know of the guy, heard of him but, oddly enough, had never met him. After all, I know most of Antonio's friends.

This father of the groom was a journalist who got rich for being a political nominee of someone back in the mid 80s.

He left the country to stay in the UK after a certain political leader was sacked and jailed.

Antonio was being ever so kind when talking about this guy but from what I gathered, this guy is no better than a political prostitute.

But, hey...I'm just a witch.

The groom is an accountant working in London and the bride is a doctor practicing in the UK. They both met in the UK.

What I shall be talking about is the father of the bride himself.

When I arrived at the entrance of the ballroom, I thought the host of the evening had a very young wife. She looked like she was in her late 20s or early 30s.

He looked like he was -- old. Kinda old enough to be her dad.

Listening to his speech at the end of the evening, I found out that this was his second marriage. His first wife -- the mother of the groom -- died of cancer about two years ago.

He spoke about his re-marrying when dishing out advice to his son and newly-acquired daugher-in-law.

His first marriage was a love marriage. The second -- "through a broker", he remarked. I guess he meant it was an arranged marriage.

Now this father of the groom --- a northerner from Penang (like his political master) had everyone in stitches. Including moi. Antonio was so beside himself that he had to take sips of the syrup drink. Aaah....for that cold cold Heinneken!

The lady beside me had to ask this question -- why do men never hesitate to get a replacement after their wife dies?

I smiled. I replied -- "you know....some don't even wait for their wives to die."

And Antonio who was listening, did not know where to look. He attempted a smile which turned into a lop-sided grin.

And the lady in question, roared with laughter and remarked: "Hahaa....men!"

Now, that's what I call a great sense of humour.

6 comments:

eva's haven said...

witch,

men are ONLY physically stronger than women. and that will soon be a myth.

cheers, witch!

the witch's broo said...

eva,

if it isn't already (a myth)!

and cheers to you!

so how's the riding these days?

Anonymous said...

Sister,

*ROTFLOL*

We are sisters in the previous life: that I am certain off.

Men, and dare I say most of them, hardly wait to marry another. Call it momentary lapse of sanity.

On another note, I wrote something about love and marriage in my blog. As always I look forward to your invaluable point of view.

Your comment has always been different but insightful.

Take care sister.

the witch's broo said...

elviza dear,

we must have been! :D

oh yes...i have gone to your blog and read parts that you published of your friend's letter. How sad she must be and have been.

I'm not sure I agree with her. She is right that love can dissipate over time in a relationship or a marriage.

I know of love still burning in a marriage.

I feel for her sadness. I hope she finds back what she had lost, if it was ever there in the first place.

i always feel that the problem is that we, women,view and define marriage, differently from men.

we get married because marriage seals our love, our bond, our commitment.

men, i suppose, do so for the same reason...as well as for other reasons too.

your husband may love you and he can love another as well.

oh..life...so we just go on living our life as we define it.

take care...

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

witch,

it is true, you know that a man does not have to wait for his wife to die to take another.

they do not need any excuse.

but that is life.

elviza -- i read your posting too on love and marriage based on your friend's letter.

i agree that it is so sad. after a while, i guess the fire stops burning....

the witch's broo said...

nuraina,

that is true. And many have proven that too.