Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Dato Lato Mato Bato.....


What does it take for one to be made a Dato in this country?
I'm sorry I cannot answer my own question because I am not qualified to do so but if I were to make my own substantiated assessment, I'd say either nothing OR a lot of dough.
I'm sorry for sounding so pathetically cynical, accusing even, but someone I know had just been made a Dato.
It was so utterly shocking. My gardener might as well be a recipient!
What had this someone done to EARN him a datoship?
So, that's why I'm saying that a lot of dough can get you a state award because I am shamelessly very suspicious of the circumstances leading to his receiving the title and award.
Highly suspicious.

It has become a brunt of all jokes, this datoship awards.

I thought one had to have contributed SOMETHING to the state (if it was from the Sultan) or the country (if it was from the Agong). I mean, that's my understanding since time immemorial.
I know that civil servants and military or armed forces personnel in key senior positions will eventually be awarded datoship.
Moving along the nation's progress, business tycoons had been nominated to receive awards and titles.
I suppose this was inevitable as some of them have helped develop the country.
And then you have "outstanding" sportsmen and women being made Dato.
I think we can win some points in arguing that some of them were undeserving. I shan't mention names.

Then, those who successfully climbed the highest mountain, crossed the seven seas and the English Channel.
My oh my....

I find that the selection process, in recent years, to have degenerated.
The criteria seem to be careless because you get **&#@ people being made a Dato, it is so shameful.

Where is the honour? Why have they belittled the title and the award?
Young punks who have contributed zilch to the country but on the strength of their service and servitude to powerful politicians are getting to be called Dato.

And I haven't even touched on the crooks and the crooks!

Boy am I glad YOU are not a Dato! You'll find yourself in BAD company.....

8 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

Witch,
Spot on. Nowadays people will ask from which state the Dato'ship is conferred to such and such a fellow. A giggle ensued when certain states are mentioned. I think RPK did have a write up on how much it will cost you to buy your Dato'ship from such and such a state.
Its no joke to be awarded a Dato'ship. Not only is the initial cost is prohibitive but from time to time you will be called to pay homage which involve expensive gift or contributions. That is why business people is preferred compared to government servants unless one is able to make tons of money from bribery.
A Dato'ship from Selangor is definitely respectable now.

the witch's broo said...

Zawi,

Isn't this just so awful when lay people start to make fun of the titles and awars?
i can't imagine calling this sertain someone Dato bcos it is simply unaccceptable.

The awarding of these titles to undeserving people has really degraded the state awards. this is so shameful!

eva's haven said...

oh witch, don't tell me you never knew that people could buy their datoship?
the time will come and it will be sooner than you think when everyone around you is a Dato.

i wonder who decides on who gets to be a Dato?

the witch's broo said...

eva,

it's happening already..when they started giving datohsip to singers and artistes, i began to realise the Datoship means nothing.
i am not running down our artistes....but giving them a Dato is...well simply too much.

eva...i think the Menteri besar has a lot of say in this.

zewt said...

soon... there will be so many datos around... those who are not datos will feel special.

the witch's broo said...

Hey Zewt...long time no hear!

datos will be a dime a dozen....nothing special about them, as we already know.

thanks for dropping over!

zorro said...

When one has low self-esteem, there is this craving and obsession for honorifics like this datuk thing. I have never addressed anyone who I do not respect, as Datuk, even if he was confered such. You got to earn my respect first. I dont even shake his hands when introduced when I know that he bought the title. I was told that it can now be paid in installments. A former student of mine who had nothing much up there became a driver and later married his boss's widow and was confered a datukship. He even introduced me to his body-guards. I didnt shake his hands although he offered. I was bitchy about it...or rather can I say I was witchy...or my action was kind of wizardly.Cheers witch....you havent come my blog....broom out of order?

the witch's broo said...

zorro,

i've long believed that there is no longer any value in these titles.
that said, i wish i have ways to oppose the "distribution" of datos to undeserving people.

it is a shameful act indeed to receive payments for giving out these titles.


cheers, zorro. and i have been visiting your blog. just that i have not dropped a line. and i will do just that in a bit.