Sunday, August 26, 2007

Showing Off the Big Belly


Ok. So I'm not that young. But after seeing some pregnant young women these past weeks, I am convinced I'm from a distant era, a distant time.
I am so out of whack with the latest trend. Fashion for expectant mothers, to be exact.
What is it with young pregnant mums that they have to wear the tightest clothes that hug their belly and the shortest blouse so that they can show off their belly.
I think being pregnant is the most wonderful feeling ever. Most women are over the moon and want to share their feeling.
But, really, you don't have to be wearing the shortest and tightest t-shirt to show of that big belly -- belly button and all.
Why oh why?
Whatever for?
I can only guess why these young women are doing it.
Because it is trendy?
Because Demi Moore showed all of hers on the cover of Vogue aeons ago?

Well. I have something to say about being trendy....it makes you a mere follower. Sometimes, so blind. Very blind.

Frankly?
I don't think these pregnant women should be showing their belly.
I think, without showing off too much, the world can tell that they are pregnant. Unless, of course, they worry that people may think that there is something else inside.

It's not about being old-fashioned. Or dated.

Oh well.
Just my opinion.

(Photo is of a pregnant woman at the beach. She probably has an excuse. Even then...)

6 comments:

J.T. said...

Oh! I am with you on that. It is okay to be proud about being pregnant but really, do we need to see the swell being outlined by tight clothes? I can, however, overlook it when it comes to swimsuits. We cannot help it there.

At the end of the day, it is the lady's choice. We can either stare or look away. :)

tony -stand-up philosopher said...

From a guy's point of view, I think pregnant women are very beautiful especially on their face. God is fair. He knew that pregnant women will be 'in a different shape' during pregnancy that is why He compensated it with a beautiful face.
And your're right WitchB. No need to expose the belly and all.

the witch's broo said...

JT,

I agree about pregnant women in swimsuits --- only if they wear maternity swimwear.
the thing is, i am far from old fashioned. i don't stare at pregnant women who wear bikinis NOT meant for their bodies.. they past by me, i look... and then I look away.

Anthonio,

I know... they glow,. they look so radiant.
thank u.

Pak Zawi said...

Its just a fad. Like any other fads it will soon go away.
Young Malaysians are yet to catch up on this fad I think. Havent seen any yet so far. Wont take a second glance even if one were to pass infront of me. There are better things to see.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sister,

I knew it! It's such a trend. When I was pregnant two years ago, the trend was also to show the tummy.

FOr the life of me, I can never do that.

Ah, to each her own

the witch's broo said...

Zawi,

But what a fad....
next to them, i feel so old-fashioned although i am far from that.
maybe its because i feel that, there should be a little modesty, a little privacy as faras the flesh goes..

Elviza: I know, girl. I know.
While I don't think pregnant women should be wearing those stuffy dresses that look like "baju tidur", i think they shouldnt go the other extreme and show off their bug belly.
scary.