Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Cures For a Broken Heart

"Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again; skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts." -Anonymous

Someone just broke your heart?
What are you waiting for? Go get a gun and shoot him! I swear that's sooo therapeutic.
But, oh! What if you decide to forgive him and he's already dead meat?
The regret will kill you. And the remorse will be a double dose of that.
Besides, you're not a killer.
And, yep, he aint worth all that.
But, there's an alternative. A sweet panacea.

According to David Romanelli, you should consider listening to country music and doing yoga.
He has nursed his broken heart -- I imagine many times -- with country music which seemed to work and he is a yoga expert.
So, I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Here's what he has to say:

There's very little in life that hurts as much as a broken heart. I always wished there were a guide on dealing with the pain of having loved and lost. So I'm gonna make an attempt at such a guide. Based on my many days dealing with a broken heart in what I call "the pain chamber," I'd like to share some thoughts on what's gotten me through:

First, listen to some country music.

Second, try listening to some country music.

Third, did I say country music?

Country songs cover some powerful lessons and wise teachings on handling the dark side of love. Depending on the day or the moment, any of the following tips might help...

1. Keep in mind that a broken heart is part of being human

Be wary of the person who hasn't dealt with a broken heart. No matter how strong you might be, if you're open to love, you're automatically vulnerable to pain. So don't feel bad if you’re in the pain chamber. Know that it's very normal and very much a part of being human. In "God Only Knows," Cynthia Ford sings about the unbearable pain that no amount of strength can overcome. She learns it's faith, not strength, that can get you through:

Somebody tell me if there's

any other way

I tried prayin' for strength

But it never came

So I'm praying for faith

Cuz God only knows

How hard this is for me

2. Light the fire

When dealing with heartbreak, sometimes it helps to get a little fired up! You can spend a lot of time bummed out and weeping, but at a certain point, it might help to get off your ass. Go for a run, lift some weights, scream if you must. Think Rocky Balboa meets the Karate Kid. In other words, get pumped. Check out Dierks Bentley's song "Forget About You" for inspiration:

I heard that ol' Jones song just the other day

'Bout a man who took that ol' broken heart to his grave

But I'll be damned if a memory's gonna lay me down

I might be walkin' around with a head full of air

Actin' kinda crazy but I don't care

This heart's barely beating, but I'll still be above the ground

I'll forget about you!

3. Take solace in the fact that things have a way of working out

It's hard to understand the first time your heart is broken. But over time, you come to realize that there's a certain rhyme and reason to life. As Garth Brooks sings, you may just become grateful for your "Unanswered Prayers":

She was the one that I'd wanted for all time

And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine

And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then

I'd never ask for anything again

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers

Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs

That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care

Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

4. Feel the pain

We can exhaust ourselves fighting the pain. Allowing yourself to feel the pain rather than resist it sometimes can be very healing.

  • Trying sitting with your ankles crossed in front you.

  • Let your palms face up to symbolize a state of surrender. Someone once said, "Keep in mind that letting go isn't the end of the world; it's the beginning of a new life."

I like it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Witchy Sister,

Ah! the broken heart story. A friend of mine who is suffering from a broken heart said "can just slap me so that I can literally feel the pain?" Oh dear....

The thing with broken heart is that, the pain isn't physical. If it is physical, it would be much earlier to mend. It's just there gnawing at your heart over and over again.

I wish I read this article years before. I sure would give it a go! But I mend my broken heart each minute of the day. Then I realised, only TIME and just TIME will heal all pains.

I listened a lot to this song:

I can tell by your eyes that you've prob'bly been cryin' forever,
and the stars in the sky don't mean nothin' to you, they're a mirror.
I don't want to talk about it, how you broke my heart.
If I stay here just a little bit longer,
If I stay here, won't you listen to my heart, whoa, heart?

If I stand all alone, will the shadow hide the color of my heart;
blue for the tears, black for the night's fears.
The star in the sky don't mean nothin' to you, they're a mirror.
I don't want to talk about it, how you broke my heart.
If I stay here just a little bit longer,
if I stay here, won't you listen to my heart, whoa, heart?
I don't want to talk about it, how you broke this ol' heart.

If I stay here just a little bit longer,
if I stay here, won't you listen to my heart, whoa, heart?
My heart, whoa, heart.

Good weekend ahead of you sister, take care

the witch's broo said...

my dear elviza,

have you really ever had your heart broken?
if you really really had, then you know that the pain is physical. it aches and it hurts.
you feel it physically.
and it hurts where the heart is.

you know we think people don't die of a broken heart? they do, you know.
some people go mad. some people die.

and i love that song.

have a great weekend too!

Anonymous said...

Got my heart broken once Sister. Hmmmm, I always thought that since I can only feel the pain in my heart so it isn't physical.

Now reading your answer, perhaps it is!

Oh so confusing.

What ever it is, I rather go through any other pain except this one!

And I know, I heard about people who dies of broken heart. Sad isnt it?

the witch's broo said...

elviza,

dearie me. i am so sorry to hear that you had gone through such a painful experience.
for me, my heart is broken everytime i think of the time the one i love was unfaithful to me.
in my case i have to learn to forget. i have forgiven but i cannot forget.
it comes back to haunt me every now and again.

take care, sister

eva's haven said...

witch,
i try to get out before shit happens.
i'd be lying if i said that i had never gone through any pain in a relationship. But i learn fast. And since, i learnt to avoid a recurrence. A broken heart is hard to mend. It takes a long time to heal.
This doesn't mean that I have not loved anyone a lot.
Love takes a lot from us, out of us. it demands so much. and i can give just so much because, how do i know what is ahead. I have been hurt before.

so, witch. you take care. i know that THAT Antonio of yours is not taking care of your heart.
i can't and won't advice you because i don't know you well enough and hell, i don't know Antonio at all.
but he's a hunk, huh?

Have a good weekend.

It's really a hot summer here.

the witch's broo said...

Eva,

hey sister, thank you for sharing your experience.
life's hard knock, for sure.
love and pain go together.

i know. i wish things could have been different for me. It's not that I don't have the courage to make the change/s but I do love Antonio. He is not perfect and neither am I.

so, thanks anyway.

It's hot and wet here in Malaysia.

EDWARD said...

Im a firm believer that one can truely die of a shattered heart. It's been 3 mnths since i lost her and the knot in my stomach only intensivies every day. Ive lost 30 lbs, my job, my friends ( dont want any anyway) and all my ambition. She was my life for 7 years. Im now 37 and cant much see 38 in my future. This is the absolute most horrific pain I have ever endured. IT JUST KEEPS THROBBING AND GRINDING IN MY HEART.

Edward

Anonymous said...

Edward- loss of a loved one can shed years off your life- but you will be better, stronger and as happy again. Just pick yourself up and be brave.

Anonymous said...

Fairly Interesting publish. Couldnt be written any much better. Reading this publish reminds me of my old room mate! He usually kept talking about this. I will forward this publish to him. Fairly certain he will have a great read. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Usually, I don't post on blogs, but I would like to say that this weblog really forced me to do so! Thanks, truly good publish.