Sunday, April 22, 2007

Can Men and Women Be "Just Friends"?

For a lot of people, this is not quite possible.
How can we be friends? No way!
Well, I know a lot of my girlfriends find it hard to have a platonic relationship with guys.
Now, I find that so strange. I have several guy friends who are, well, just friends.
We are not physically attracted to each other. Neither sexually. Emotionally? Hell no!
At least, not on my part. And I am pretty sure, not on theirs either.
My girlfriends tell me that given half a chance, they'd go to bed with me anytime.
I am insulted by that remark. They're talking about my (guy) friends as though these guys are sleazeballs masquerading as platonic friends.
Besides, I have never got any "signal" from them.
Yeah, yeah, I have been accused of having thick skin.
Ok, ok, my girlfiends may be right. But that is really stereotyping men.
Whoops, and I am so guilty of that too.
But, not in this case.
I'm pretty weird in that sense.
In college, I was never attracted to my classmates. Even the gorgeous ones whom other girls would be having a crush on.
I have no idea why I am like that.
It's like it's so incestuous to be having anything romantic, physical or emotional or all of that, with one's classmates or colleagues.
Yes, colleague! He maybe the world's sexiest hunk but I probably see him as, er, just another colleague, of the male variety.
However. in case, you have any doubts about this issue, read this interesting article here.

8 comments:

zewt said...

think you friend got their ideas from the ladder theory.

the witch's broo said...

hi zewt,

perhaps so..

zewt said...

i supposed you read that theory already? do u agree with that theory?

the witch's broo said...

hi zewt,

since harry met sally?
i do (agree) in many ways... subconsciously, i have already categorised the men I meet..
Antonio from the start was never a friend. My ex-husband was never a friend.
It was a mental assessment. a quick and final one. and it has always been right for me.
no way can i ever have sex with someone i have always considered to be a friend.
that is why i never give signals to anyone. becos i am so afraid i will give the wrong signal. that is why i dont hang out at bars...

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

hi witch,

i agree with you.

(PS: Got yr blog from Typhoon Sue. Also from my sister.,)

J.T. said...

Hi Witch, it is possible to have a platonic friendship with a guy. However, we cannot control what he thinks. So, even if you are enjoying that friendship, no hanky-panky,no insinuations whatsoever, there is a slight possibility that he has an active imagination and will someday place you in it. Yeah, I know "ewwww" or "hmmm".
Women are not innocent to this situation too. :)

zewt said...

now... that is a truly honest answer...

the witch's broo said...

JT: Certainly. I believe in platonic relationship.
I'm with you, JT.

Nuraina: Tis an honour!

Zewt: Thanks, bro.