Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I WAS ON AIR!

I was driving my car this morning with Simon and Caroline of Light Fm on the radio. I like them. I think they are unpretentious, sensible, engaging and smart.
They speak well without that affected accent.
Just as I had always liked Richard and Shaz of MixFM. Sob sob... they're no longer on the morning show. I miss them.
Anyway, I was listening to Simon and Caroline's chat and banter, on the subject of going on holiday alone. You know, solo.
Caroline (I think she must be a card-carrying member of a neo-feminist militant group) as always, had her own view of why she thought that there was absolutely nothing wrong with anyone going on holiday alone without their partner or spouse.
Simon, the nice family man that he is, said for him holidays should be spent with one's family. This guy practises what he preaches. There's nothing like a good holiday with your wife and kids around you, he said.
Aah, Simon. I love you. A man after my own heart.
Then, since they had their own differing views, Simon decided to open the subject to listeners' discussion.
Now, there had been many a time I wanted to dial 03-95433333 to give my 2 cents worth on a subject they were on.
Like the other day, on using handphones while driving. I think so many people missed the point. One guy, though articulate, missed the point on why motorists are an incorrigible lot and have no qualms in using handphones when they know it is - 1. hazardous on the road, and 2. illegal to do so.
Oh, he went on about handphones being an extension of people's arms because they are no longer an accessory but tools on which we have become so dependent and accustomed to.
Yada yada yada.
Bollocks! I wanted to just call and say : Hey, mister. Use the handsfree-lah. And people use their handphone while driving because they know they can get away with it. That simple. If our enforcement of traffic regulations was strict, uncompromising, efficient and effective, no one would dare use their handphone while driving.
Simon was spot on when he quite kindly told a lady who complained that she stopped using handsfree sets because they are useless. The ones she had bought always lasted a short while and damaged after that. She had bought so many already.
"Buy original-lah", Simon quipped.
Hell YES! That will solve your problem, lady.
I am so digressing here.
On the solo holiday issue -- I pulled over by the road and searched for the number in my phone. Hahaha.... yes, I have the number set in my Ericsson.
I turned off the radio. I think you're supposed to do that, yes?
At first, it was busy. Of course, I didn't think I could be lucky.
Tried again, just for the heck of it. It rang and WHOA! Simon was on the other line. I gave my name. I could hear Caroline prodding me for a response to her question.
So I said -- no no, I don't agree with either moi or mon amour going for a solo holiday.
What for? We both travel -- separately -- in the course of our work. And it may be work, but we had often found ourselves touring the country we were in, on our own or with fellow participants. There had been times we went around foreign cities and towns on our own.
And many a time, I would wish that mon amour was with me. I believe he had felt such too.
I am not saying there is anything wrong but I wouldn't want mon amour to go alone.
Then Caroline said it is a question of trust. Yeah yeah. Trust, whatever.
But I know men, I remarked. And both laughed. Simon said, not true-lah, because he is a man,
You see, all this said with time constraint because it was a minute before 8am. I was the last caller.
But what I could not say was this -- to Simon, I wanted to tell him -- My point exactly. He believes in holidaying with his family, right? Now, the day he tells his wife that he'd want to go holiday alone, she should be suspicious. I am sorry but I would be pretty suspicious because it isn't like him to want that -- unless, unless......
The day I tell Antonio that I want to go on holiday without him is the day, he had better be worried because I am telling him that I need to get away from him. Vice versa, I am sure.
Heck, years ago, without a man, I'd not think twice about going hitchhiking to South America or Europe. Or Tibet or Nepal.
Now, why would I want to do all that if I had a man I love with whom I could share glorious moments? Why would I want to go anywhere without him.
You know. I love my own company. I love being alone sometimes. But enjoying sights and sounds alone? Hmmm., no.
And to Caroline, I wanted to say this: Caroline, there is nothing wrong in going for holidays alone. To each her own, I always say. But, if you were my friend, the only time I'd advise you to take a break and go somewhere alone-- to Bali, Sardinia, Spain, Greece or wherever there's sun, sea and loads of hunky men -- is when you had come to tell me that you're going through a bad break-up or divorce.
That you needed to be alone.
And that goes for Simon too. Meow.

7 comments:

zewt said...

i once went along to HK for a holiday... quite nice. of cos, i have friends there.... but it was still very nice.

the witch's broo said...

zewt,

that's what i mean.... nobody goes on holiday alone. alone from KLIA to wherever on flight. but ...

Leftie said...

True, now I probably wouldn't want to go for holidays with me, myself and I. But that said, it does leave me to wonder - just as you have said it, years ago before Man comes into your life, you'd jump on the opportunity to go backpacking/hitch-hiking anywhere in the world. Why wouldn't I do it now?

baggie said...

GO HOLIDAY ALONE???!! that sounded soooo not holiday to me... imagine eating alone in Rome, sight seeing alone in Venice, sleeping alone in a hotel in Greece... whoaaa... so not correct..

Unless, you've planned to have holiday romance with some local guy there you're gonna meet in a bar... being alone would not be a problem then. Remember to wear condoms, that's all.

the witch's broo said...

leftie: hi thanks for visiting. on going off on a hike alone now -- nawww... in a relationship, there are things we'd love to do together --- holidaying, hiking tht sort of thing..if mon amour is game, then i'm game.

calvin's girl -- yep... you've said it CG.

the witch's broo said...

hi zewt,
sorry, i think i should expand on my response earlier to you.

let me ask you, when you went to HK for holiday alone, were you single then?
if you were, then that's a different situation altogether. no debate there.

but if you were married or attached, then the debate applies.
holiday is about having fun, enjoying the surroundings etc..people generally want to share that with those they love. if they're not married they usually go with friends or siblings.
there are times a married/attached woman/man goes on holiday with her friends/family minus her partner.
that's pretty normal.
but it's a different question altogether if he/she wants to go holidaying alone.
if you carry out a survey, you'd find that people generally do not like to go on holiday alone.
i'll tell you who would -- men/women whose marriage or relationship has gone so humdrum, boring etc...facing mid-life crisis, that 5,7, or 9-10 year-itch. or facing a relationship crisis.


bro-- i think you know what i mean.

zewt said...

understand what you mean. yeah, when i went... i was single.

but then again, i have always wanted to run around alone... i think it's pretty cool. of cos, i cant do that now... i am attached.